It’s been nearly two months since I’ve had the chance to work on MakerCafe and I’m pleased to finally get back to my favorite project. When I last worked on code for the project I thought I’d brought it to a critical point where I could release the code and start doing some of my work more openly. Then my attention was drawn away to some more immediate projects and I never got the chance to do what I’d intended, release the code.
Well I’m back on track now and today I took the plunge and put my code out there on GitHub. You can see it if you’d like at http://github.com/chrisgilmerproj/MakerCafe. I’d intended to submit my code in the form of a python package, but I only got partway to that goal today. I’ve got to finish attaching the appropriate license information and to add some management commands for the buildout, but I can get that done later this week.
My next goal following the packaging of MakerCafe is to put up a real website with documentation and examples for others to see and use. I currently host a working copy of a MakerCafe website at http://www.makercafe.com for people to see. I intend to move that over to http://www.makercafe.org and to use the .com address as a platform for hosting makercafe sites for the public. That’s probably a far reaching goal, but I see myself getting there in a couple months.
All-in-all I’m pretty pleased. The transition from my personal svn repository to git hasn’t been hard at all. And I look forward to inviting other developers to help out on my project.